I've decided to start a blog. I don't know if I can say or make sense of why I've taken now to be the time to begin this, but as with all things I suppose you have to start somewhere. This will be that point.
I'm not sure I know how to express it, so I'll say that I'm now filled with postmodern vigor. This used to be a term I tried to avoid in that I thought it was a little too arbitrary and argumentative, but maybe I've learned to be kinder to myself and not be so apprehensive about defining myself (though I would hardly say thats what this is). I guess I just have a problem with making statements rather than simply acting as I should; as setting myself up to make myself some sort of strawman rather than expressing myself through a voluminous example in life. This doesn't mean I have a strict code of conduct I follow and morals and all that bullshit (since we all know I have a storied career as a characteristic "asshole"), it just means that there are things I find practical and impractical, in my best interest and not in my best interest, worthwhile pursuits and non-worthwhile pursuits. In essence, my life has become about finding the right tool for the job and familiarizing myself with and trying to improve those tools I do use. Sure, I love a few good laughs, but I've always been tepid when it comes to sharing what I value most. I dunno, it always seems as though those things are bastardized or distorted once I talk about them out loud, like some sort of terrific muted scream. I couldn't say whether this agent acts as my soul or my conscience, that indisputable aspect of human thought that places value into the various aspects of my life, but I guess the concept will do for now.
This all gets weird, since I've have such a lax concept of value and structure in a philosophical sense Its always been hard trying to make statements, because I always viewed the approaches I could conceive myself taking as being too self righteous and pompous. Honestly, until I read philosophers like Rorty, Vattimo, Heidegger and Wittgenstein I think I always held the same belief structure, I just didn't know how to say it. For me, postmodernism isn't just a thought that came to mind but instead the logical progression of whats come before it in Western thought. I in no way think it to be the finality of thought or some sort of trump card to make Philosophy omnitient, but instead a stepping stone to use until someone else comes up with something better. At its core, the postmodern is the simple abandonment of metaphysics (including epistomology and ontology). Concepts like weak thought, hermeneutics (though in a grander scope than that article indicates and without the pseudoscientific bullshit), pluralism, and generally looking at and valuing things as they are and as they rationally could be rather than how things could ideally be in the absence of some sort of inexorable concept or ideology.
All this adds to being not much and not nearly as clearheaded as I'd like it to be, but this is the first posting as such on my blog and it'll have to do in the wake of anything more coherent coming from my lecherous tongue. I'm vile, irrihensible and contradictory, but I'll be damned if I don't do it in a dramatic and entirely entertaining fashion. I'll try and flesh out ideas and concepts as things progress (obviously), but as the scope for this thing is fairly vague in my mind right now I'll just have to develop a cadence as I move along. Expect things to be somewhat turbulent and sporatic for a while. This didn't happen because of New Years.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment